- I took the AREX (Airport Express train) from Hongdae to Gimpo Airport after spending the night in Seoul. The trip only took 13 minutes! The train was pretty empty so it was easy finding a seat. After getting off the train, I walked through this long, winding path underground that eventually somehow led me to the airport. The airport was the cutest thing ever! It’s smaller than John Wayne Airport and had about 3 floors if I remember correctly. I checked in with TWay Airlines and received a “Welcome to Taiwan” voucher packet – free MRT card, amusement park ticket, & duty-free gift voucher. I went to Shinhan Bank afterwards to reset my debit card pin number (long story). After that, I moped around until my flight.
- The flight was surprisingly pleasant since T’Way Air was a “budget airline.” You can’t really move the seats back but I didn’t really care since the flight was only 2 hours. Lunch was actually served (mapo tofu) even though I didn’t eat it. I fell in and out of sleep most of the time.
- Landing was smooth & the check-out process took less than 10 minutes. I went to the info desk to get a subway map & took the brown line to Ximending. For some reason, I thought it was necessary to put 2,000 TWD on my MRT card… I subway’d it to Ximending but couldn’t find my hotel so I cabbed it there for another $1.50.
- My hotel was seriously like a night club. Or a Virgin Airlines flight. The room wasn’t ready until 6pm so I left my backpack there & roamed around. Ximending is such a happening place to be… like Myeongdong but with better food. I had an early meal at a random restaurant I found. Beef noodles is seriously amazing, something I could eat all day!
- After walking around for a bit more, I checked into my hotel and rested for a bit. The room was the perfect size for a solo traveler. It would’ve worked with 2 people as well. I spent the rest of the night out exploring Ximending some more. I love the fobby fashion & random street food.
The lack of posting has of course, been due to my hectic schedule with teaching intensives. I have English Drama, Extensive reading (cooking), and 5-6 Speech… a horrificly prep-heavy schedule but hey, that’s what I get for being a “good” instructor -_- My mother is also currently in town. For some reason, even though I was tired today, I was extremely upbeat & happy. Mothers have a tendency to make you feel that way no matter how tired you are 🙂